About the Position
JustFix.nyc is seeking a full-time Program Manager with 2-4 years of relevant experience, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a passion for tenant rights to join us on our mission to co-design and build data-driven tools for tenants, housing organizers, and legal advocates fighting displacement.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, they will be responsible for leading engagement and support to all community members who use our tools in NYC, as well as assisting emerging work in other cities and states. This includes working with the Operations Manager, Communications Manager, and Director of Product to clarify, develop, and promote our programs, as well as contribute to our pilot Design Advisory Council (DAC) program, a formation of tenant organizers and leaders from across NYC developing a new feature in our tool suite to support tenant organizing.
The ideal candidate is a fearless and independent yet collaborative worker, who knows how to engage with tenant leaders, fellow housing justice nonprofit staff, city and state elected officials’ offices, other strategic partners, and a team of technologists following a community-led equity-driven model.
JustFix.nyc’s team is largely based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office.
Community Engagement (45%)
- Triage all user communications related to general housing questions (eg. emergency situations, issues out of the scope of our tools, landlord retaliation/harassment, etc.) from our various channels (Gmail, social media direct messages & comments, Google Voice voicemails & text messages, etc.) with vetted action steps, information, our tools, event information, and/or partner organization referrals
- Co-facilitate our pilot Design Advisory Council (DAC) program and manage participant engagement logistics in coordination with the Senior UX/UI Designer and Operations Manager
- Follow up with any users who indicate they want deeper follow up and/or have feedback to share
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve our databases/trackers of community members, in collaboration with all team members
Technical Support (15%)
- Immediately respond to and resolve user technical issues across our full product suite
- Seek out, accurately log, aggregate, and communicate feedback from users in our full product suite to our Product Team
Trainings and Outreach Events (25%)
- Create, conduct, and facilitate virtual trainings and product demos on JustFix.nyc tools, political education, and housing information with and for partner organizations, tenant groups, and other community members with varying technological interest/comfort/skills, in coordination with the Communications Manager
- Identify opportunities for all staff to interact directly with current and potential users (e.g. door knocking, building meetings, feedback focus groups, community events, etc.) and provide debriefing space
Internal Responsibilities (15%)
- Team meetings
- Manager and peer check-ins
- Anti-racism initiatives and curriculum
- Org-wide initiatives
*Other duties may also be assigned
Qualities & Skills
- A passion for social justice, and an investment in a larger movement fighting for safe and healthy housing immediately, and housing for all in the long-term
- 2-4 years of experience in an organization with a start-up culture, preferably related to housing justice and/or in a tenant-facing context
- Familiarity with tenant organizing and knowledge of the housing justice landscape locally and nationally
- English and Spanish dominant (reading, writing, speaking)
- Self-organization and ability to make, meet, and hold others accountable to deadlines
- Detail- and solutions-oriented
- Scrappy, resourceful, and culturally competent
- Relationship-based, with strong communication and interpersonal skills, with aptitude for giving and receiving feedback
- Collaborative mindset with ability to communicate expectations and commitments, both as a leader and as a team player
- Growth mindset with an ability to adapt and learn quickly
- Skilled at facilitating both internal and external meetings with multiple stakeholders
- Local to NYC
Nice to have:
- Interest in civic technology and co-design
- Experience in a startup environment (either an actual startup or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- A connection to the tools we have built and the people who use them
- Comfortable using project management and tracking tools (eg. Airtable, Clubhouse, Front), as well as remote work communication tools (eg. Slack, Zoom)
Why Work for JustFix.nyc:
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision and dental benefits are covered for employees.
- Flexible Paid Time Off with a generous and inclusive holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build for and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover up to $1,000 of that cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional $1,000 at your two year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is $55,000-65,000 annually for 40 hours a week (full time, exempt) including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance, and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix.nyc” section.
JustFix.nyc is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that builds tools for tenants and advocates fighting displacement. Our mission is to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all — and we think the power of data and technology should be accessible to those fighting this fight. Our vision is to provide tools that make it easier for tenants to know and exercise their rights. By combining highly scalable web-based, mobile-friendly, and SMS tools with advanced housing data analysis, we have a mission to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all. We are driven by the belief that all NYC residents deserve a dignified tenancy, with access to legal representation, social services, and opportunities to organize while navigating the complex and currently inequitable world of housing.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix.nyc is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.