About the Position
JustFix is seeking a full-time Director of Operations & HR with 5+ years in a senior and/or management position. The ideal candidate should have an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for tenant rights, and excitement to join us on our mission to co-design and build data-driven tools for tenants, housing organizers, and legal advocates.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the candidate will lead internal operations of our small collaborative team of ~10 full time staff, as well as contractors and future interns. The Director of Operations & HR will play a key role in further developing JustFix’s hiring and retention strategies in order to help the organization realize its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (“DEI”) goals.
This role also includes working closely with the Deputy Director to ensure seamless operations and communications between JustFix’s diverse team of engineers, designers, and program staff. The ideal candidate is a forward-thinker with experience supporting, leading, and growing a team while implementing and iterating on people processes.
JustFix’s team is largely based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office.
People Operations Strategy
- Act as a senior advisor to the Executive Director (“ED”)on all people-related matters to ensure the organization attracts and retains talented and diverse staff members.
- In conjunction with the ED, continue to improve and implement a competitive compensation, benefits, and leveling structure.
- Manage a robust performance review process to help employees set clear goals, offer colleagues productive feedback, and identify development opportunities.
- Create sustainable structures to advance DEI and drive a culture of inclusion.
- Maintain and further develop management systems and internal operations guidelines/processes to improve the employee experience.
Hiring & Growth
- Own and grow a comprehensive DEI recruiting strategy optimized to minimize bias, recruit deeply, and empower the team to effectively meet their hiring needs.
- Identify and enrich JustFix’s professional development opportunities, customizing opportunities for varying skill sets across the Program, Product, and Design teams.
- Recruit and screen candidates for all open roles.
- Represent JustFix at external recruiting events to identify and recruit diverse and talented candidates.
- Work closely with the Leadership Team and staff to facilitate a smooth return to in-person work once the public health crisis resolves.
- Serve as the Equal Opportunity Officer (“EEO”), maintaining accessible and clear procedures for reasonable accommodation requests, complaints, and other employee needs.
- Co-manage the organization’s response to external crises (e.g., COVID-19) when necessary.
- Manage at least one Operations Associate who will provide support with day-to-day operations.
- Work with an external audit firm to prepare and review audit materials and annual report of audit findings.
- Manage the preparation and analysis of financial reports on a quarterly basis in coordination with a bookkeeping firm.
- Collaborate with Executive Director to conduct forecasting and financial planning, and establish an annual operating budget for the organization.
*Other duties may also be assigned
- 5+ years experience in a People Operations or an HR role within a technology start-up and/or nonprofit organization.
- Motivated by our mission and/or a professional or personal connection to the housing justice movement.
- Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to a wide-range of priorities.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Familiarity with project management software and remote work platforms such as Slack, Clubhouse/Shortcut, Airtable, or similar software.
- Experience and demonstrated skills in working with diverse populations and a commitment to community organizing, racial justice, and housing justice.
- Local to NYC or willing to relocate to NYC once JustFix returns to in-person work.
- Your own unique talents. If you do not meet 100% of the must-haves above, tell us in your cover letter why you’d be a fit for this role.
Nice to have:
- Interest in civic technology and co-design.
- Experience and knowledge of the NYC and NYS political landscape.
- Experience with tenant organizing and knowledge of the housing justice landscape locally and nationally.
- Experience in a startup or small nonprofit environment.
- A connection to the tools we have built and the renters and advocates who use them.
- An advanced degree and/or relevant training, such as HRCI and SHRM certifications.
Why Work for JustFix
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits are covered for staff along with FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs.
- Support for the future. 401k option (we match up to 2%, plus a non-elective contribution per year), and 16 weeks paid Parental Leave for those eligible.
- Generous time off and holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover the cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional stipend at your two-year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
This is a full-time role of approximately 40 hours per week. Salary is commensurate with experience in the range of $90,000-$110,000, and includes full health/vision/dental insurance and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix” section.
JustFix is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that co-creates tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice. Housing is a human right. We believe all tenants deserve dignified housing that helps them thrive in all parts of their lives - and that technology plays a supportive role in equipping tenants and the housing justice movement with the tools, information, and organizing power critical to this fight for racial and economic justice. Read more about our impact and Theory of Change.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve hundreds of thousands of tenants every year.
JustFix’s work has been recognized by Fast Company’s Innovation by Design awards, the Forbes 30 Under 30 list, the Hague Institute for Innovation of Law Justice Innovation of the Year, and more.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.