About the Position
JustFix is seeking a Senior Product Designer with 5+ years of relevant experience and a passion for tenants’ rights to join us on our mission to co-create tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all.
Reporting to the Executive Director, they will be responsible for full stack design projects from the start of research up to producing high fidelity mocks and making any necessary changes based on feedback. This role will be expected to develop content and distribution partnerships with program staff, subject matter experts, and tenants using our tools. Working with the Marketing and Communications Manager, they will also develop visual assets to complement all communications and marketing content.
JustFix’s team is based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office, which will depend on the state of the public health crisis. While we are eager to return to the office, JustFix prioritizes staff health and wellbeing above all else.
Research and Product Design (60%)
- Contribute to our user research capabilities and participatory processes to ensure that we have the knowledge we need to make informed product decisions
- Own full stack design projects
- Develop wireframes in varying fidelities
- Create pixel-perfect design mocks and work with engineers to implement them
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness, accessibility)
- Conduct changes based on feedback
Strategy Collaboration (25%)
- Take an uncompromising stance on designing for full accessibility (including digital accessibility, language accessibility, and content readability)
- Actively contribute to the evolution of our design methodology, philosophy, and principles (in line with the Design Justice Principles and Equity Centered Community Design), ensuring these are consistently applied to every product and experience we build
- Collaborate with our Product team (including Senior UX/UI Designer and Engineers), Program team, and external partners to contribute to a product strategy
- Develop and maintain our design library, so that designers and engineers can work from templates instead of creating from scratch every time
- Attend and facilitate team meetings
- Engage in manager and peer check-ins
- Participate in anti-racism and anti-oppression initiatives and curriculum
- Take part in other org-wide initiatives
*Other duties may also be assigned
Must have technical skills:
- 5+ years of relevant experience as a UX/UI, product, or interaction designer, with at least part of that focused on consumer software
- Demonstrated expertise in defining mobile consumer product strategy that moves metrics. You have played core roles on teams that have shipped successful consumer products.
- Has worked end-to-end on large-scale products with engineering teams
- Deep experience with user research throughout the product life cycle, and an understanding of the role that research and user testing should play
- Know how to balance that pixel perfection with timely delivery of designs
- Strong visual and typographic sensibility
- Deep familiarity with the tools of the trade, however you define them
- Deep familiarity with Figma
- Copywriting experience, ideally with conversational design (think SMS)
Must have Professional Skills & Assets:
- Able to provide samples of work that show complex and creative UX solutions, extraordinary visual design and solid information architecture
- An understanding of the role of product/technology in movement-driven spaces
- Experience working closely with other designers with a collaborative and supporting approach
- Ability to apply anti-oppression principles to engineering work; an appetite to diverge from traditional industry practices that may create a false sense of urgency or an unsupportive work environment.
- Be a fast and agile learner while willing to contribute by teaching what you know.
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills, with aptness in giving and receiving feedback.
- Demonstrate commitment to users needs; attention to detail when it comes to user interaction and accessibility;
- Local to NYC
- Your own unique talents. It’s okay if you don’t meet 100% of the must-haves above - tell us in your cover letter why you’d be a fit for this role.
Nice to have:
- Interest in civic technology and co-design
- Interest in growing with and building a resilient team structure
- English and Spanish dual fluency (reading, writing, speaking)
- Familiarity with and knowledge about stakeholders across the housing justice ecosystem, ideally in NYC
- Demonstrate familiarity with housing justice issues in New York City or elsewhere in the US
- Self-organization and ability to make, meet and hold others accountable to deadlines
- Detail- and solutions-oriented
- Be highly curious and comfortable with ambiguity
- Working with data visualization and mapping platforms (d3.js, CARTO, Leaflet, etc)
- Experience with building in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- Experience with or an interest in housing justice and tenants' rights with an appetite to learn more
- Experience with remote collaboration/project management tools (e.g. Clubhouse/Shortcut, Airtable, Slack or similar)
*In your application, please share samples of your work and specify which portions were personally done by you, focusing on projects that showcase:
- Your experience with complex workflows
- How you’ve designed clear and thoughtful UX/ UI and microinteractions
- Your process for problem-solving (rather than just polished, final design work)
- Your communication skills
*If a non-disclosure agreement makes this request difficult, please let us know in your cover letter.
Why Work for JustFix
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits are covered for staff along with FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs.
- Support for the future. 401k option (we match up to 2%, plus a non-elective contribution per year), and 16 weeks paid Parental Leave for those eligible.
- Flexible Paid Time Off with a generous and inclusive holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build with and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover up to $1,000 of that cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional $1,000 at your two year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is $80,000-90,000 annually for 40 hours a week (full time, exempt) including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance, and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix” section.
JustFix is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that co-creates tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice. Housing is a human right. We believe all tenants deserve dignified housing that helps them thrive in all parts of their lives - and that technology plays a supportive role in equipping tenants and the housing justice movement with the tools, information, and organizing power critical to this fight for racial and economic justice. Read more about our impact and Theory of Change.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.