JustFix.nyc is seeking a Senior UX/UI Designer with 5+ years of relevant experience to join us on our mission to build technology that serves working-class New Yorkers. We are building an open-source platform that allows tenants to build legal cases, connect with community organizers, and fight back against displacement.
Compensation is competitive and will include salary and full health/vision/dental insurance. Our office is based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19, however, this position is not remote. We do not offer financial relocation support.
At JustFix.nyc, we have been building technology for housing justice for the past four years. Our web-app for tenants with repair issues has been used by thousands of families across the city to document their situations and build strong legal cases. Our advocate services, in use by over 40 community organizations and legal services, connect those in need with advocacy and community organizing services anywhere in the City. We’re currently working with open data to develop groundbreaking new ways to identify patterns of displacement and target some of the city’s worst slumlords.
You will be joining our growing product team at a critical time as we continue to evolve and scale our services both in NYC and in cities across the country. You will join a larger community of technologists, organizers, data scientists, and policymakers who are creating new models of civic technology and digital organizing. This is a chance to build and design across a spectrum of accessibility and internet connectivity, presenting unique design challenges.
- Own full stack design projects, starting with research, developing initial wireframes, prototyping, user testing, and producing high fidelity mocks
- Actively contribute to the evolution of our design methodology, philosophy, and principles (in line with the Design Justice Principles and Equity Centered Community Design), ensuring these are consistently applied to every product and experience we build
- Collaborate with our Director of Product, designer, engineers, program staff, and external partners to contribute to a product strategy that helps us achieve our goals
- Contribute to our user research capabilities and participatory processes to ensure that we have the knowledge we need to make informed product decisions
- Take an uncompromising stance on designing for full accessibility
- Create pixel-perfect design mocks and work with engineers to implement them
- Develop and maintain our design library, so that designers and engineers can work from templates instead of creating from scratch every time
- 5+ years of relevant experience as a UX/UI, product, or interaction designer, with at least part of that focused on consumer software
- Demonstrated expertise in defining mobile consumer product strategy that moves metrics. You have played core roles on teams that have shipped successful consumer products
- Has worked end-to-end on large-scale products with engineering
- Deep experience with user research throughout the product life cycle, and an understanding of the role that research and user testing should play
- Know how to balance that pixel perfection with timely delivery of designs
- Strong visual and typographic sensibility
- Excellent communication skills. You can bring internal stakeholders on your design journey and defend your decisions with data
- Deep familiarity with the tools of the trade, however you define them
- Copywriting experience, ideally with conversational design (think SMS)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills - we are a small team that works together closely
- Experience working closely with other designers with a collaborative and supportive approach
- Local to NYC and driven toward our mission / desire to build something that makes an impact
- Able to provide samples of work that show complex and creative UX solutions, extraordinary visual design, and solid information architecture
In your application, please share samples of your work, focusing on projects that showcase:
- Your experience with complex workflows
- How you’ve designed clear and thoughtful UX/ UI
- Your process for problem-solving (rather than just polished, final design work)
- Your communication skills
Nice to have:
- Interest in civic technology
- Spanish language skills
- A passion for social justice and being a part of a larger movement fighting for safe, healthy, and affordable housing.
- Working with data visualization and mapping platforms (d3.js, CARTO, Leaflet, etc)
- Experience with building in a startup environment (either an actual startup or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- Something in your personal story that draws you to what we're building
Why Work for JustFix.nyc:
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits are covered for employees.
- Flexible Paid Time Off with a generous and inclusive holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build for and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover up to $1,000 of that cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional $1,000 at your two year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is $80,000-90,000 annually for 40 hours a week (full time, exempt) including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance, and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix.nyc” section.
JustFix.nyc is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that builds tools for tenants and advocates fighting displacement. Our mission is to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all — and we think the power of data and technology should be accessible to those fighting this fight. Our vision is to provide tools that make it easier for tenants to know and exercise their rights. By combining highly scalable web-based, mobile-friendly, and SMS tools with advanced housing data analysis, we have a mission to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all. We are driven by the belief that all NYC residents deserve a dignified tenancy, with access to legal representation, social services, and opportunities to organize while navigating the complex and currently inequitable world of housing.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix.nyc is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.