About the Position
JustFix is seeking a UX Researcher with 3+ years of relevant experience to join us on our mission to co-create tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice.
Reporting directly to our Executive Director and collaborating closely with our Product Team, this person will be responsible for helping define and drive the future of our products. By conducting research, working with our entire team across functions, and performing usability studies, this person will reveal what our users need from our products. This can also include evaluating qualitative and quantitative data, and helping our Product team better understand what would make a user’s experience more intuitive, accessible, and seamless.
Conduct Research (60%)
- Recruit and schedule users for interviews and focus groups (online and in person), conducting outreach and advertising as necessary
- Write user interview guides with best practices for open-ended, unbiased questions
- Conduct primary and secondary user research in the context of tenant interviews and focus groups in order to understand and meet the needs of tenant users;
- Conduct and evaluate written quantitative and qualitative research;
- Perform market and ethnographic research using a variety of UX research tools;
- Conduct product testing to ensure the service is usable and accessible;
- Create hypotheses, set research objectives, and conduct A/B testing, reach unbiased conclusions;
- Validate assumptions that will guide the product team’s designs;
- Discover patterns and insights through focus groups, interviews, surveys, field studies, card sorting, journey mapping, testing, and more
Strategy Collaboration (25%)
- Provide recommendations and insights to Product and Program teams in order to effectively distribute and promote the product to the target audience;
- Keep the Product design team on track by focusing on specific goals through user research objectives
- Assist the Product team in making design decisions
- Be a strong voice for our users, always keeping their interests front and center and supporting recommendations with data and examples from interviews
- Write and copy edit text content for our tools, keeping in mind accessibility and language equity
- Attend and facilitate team meetings
- Engage in manager and peer check-ins
- Participate in anti-racism and anti-oppression initiatives and curriculum
- Take part in other org-wide initiatives
*Other duties may also be assigned
- 3+ years of relevant experience as a UX, product, or interaction researcher, with at least part of that focused on consumer software;
- Rich experience with user research throughout the product life cycle, and an understanding of the role that research and user testing should play;
- Demonstrated expertise in defining mobile consumer product strategy that moves metrics. You have played core roles on teams that have shipped successful consumer products.
- Fluency or professional proficiency in written and spoken Spanish;
- Strong writing skills, including experience with copy-editing;
- Has worked end-to-end on large-scale products with engineering;
- Deep experience with user research throughout the product life cycle, and an understanding of the role that research and user testing should play;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills - we are a small team that works together closely;
- Ability to perform all research-related tasks including research, planning, evaluating, and iteration
- Ability to formulate specific, answerable, and practical questions
- Experience with remote testing tools (e.g. Airtable, Evolt, Qualtrics, Reduct.Video, UserTesting)
- Your own unique talents. It’s okay if you don’t meet 100% of the must-haves above - tell us in your cover letter why you’d be a fit for this role.
Nice to have
- Experience with textbots, chatbots or other forms of conversational design;
- Interest in civic technology;
- Experience with remote collaboration/project management tools (e.g. Clubhouse, Airtable, Slack or similar)
- Familiarity with and knowledge about stakeholders across the housing justice ecosystem, ideally in NYC;
- A passion for social justice and being a part of a larger movement fighting for safe, healthy, and affordable housing;
- Experience with or an interest in housing justice and tenants' rights with an appetite to learn more;
- Self-organization and ability to make, meet, and hold others accountable to deadlines;
- Detail and solutions-oriented;
- Resourceful and creative;
- Culturally competent with deep experience working across lines of cultural, racial, and linguistic differences.
- Experience building tools or new systems in a startup environment or non-profit;
- Familiarity with housing justice issues in New York City or elsewhere in the US;
- Local to NYC
*As part of the application process, JustFix may request samples of writing or case studies of previous user research experience or other substantive skills related to the job duties.
Why Work for JustFix
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits are covered for staff along with FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs.
- Support for the future. 401k option (we match up to 2%, plus a non-elective contribution per year), and 16 weeks paid Parental Leave for those eligible.
- Flexible Paid Time Off with a generous and inclusive holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build with and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover up to $1,000 of that cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional $1,000 at your two year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is $75,000-85,000 annually for 40 hours a week (full time, exempt) including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance, and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix” section.
JustFix is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that co-creates tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice. Housing is a human right. We believe all tenants deserve dignified housing that helps them thrive in all parts of their lives - and that technology plays a supportive role in equipping tenants and the housing justice movement with the tools, information, and organizing power critical to this fight for racial and economic justice. Read more about our impact and Theory of Change.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.