About the Position
JustFix.nyc is seeking a full-time Deputy Director with 5+ years of experience in a senior and/or management position, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a passion for tenant rights to join us on our mission to co-design and build data-driven tools for tenants, housing organizers, and legal advocates fighting displacement.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, they will be responsible for hiring and managing a program staff of at least 2 focused on community engagement and communications, and leading partnership strategy in the NYC housing justice ecosystem as well as in other cities and states around the country. This includes working with JustFix.nyc’s Senior UX/UI Designer to strategize for and carry out our pilot Design Advisory Council (DAC) program, a formation of tenant organizers and leaders from across NYC developing a new feature in our tool suite to support tenant organizing.
The ideal candidate is a visionary and multidisciplinary senior leader who knows how to engage with tenant leaders, fellow housing justice nonprofit staff, city and state elected officials’ offices, other strategic partners, and a team of technologists following a community-led equity-driven model.
JustFix.nyc’s team is largely based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office.
Program Development (50%)
- Partner with the Executive Director and Director of Product in crafting strategy to expand the use of JustFix.nyc tools in NYC as well as to other cities and states and ensuring alignment of the Program and Product teams
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager to maintain and expand relationships with press outlets, interface with our marketing, writing, and translation consultants, and oversee the development and implementation of voice and tone branding guidelines in all communication channels
- Support the Program Manager and Operations Manager in their community engagement efforts, including user communications triage, housing and technical trainings, volunteer programming, and feedback logging
- Participate in our Design Advisory Council (DAC) program at the level of strategy and org-wide implementation, working with the Senior UX/UI Designer
- Co-manage the organization’s response to external crises (eg., COVID-19) when necessary, working with the Executive Director and Director of Product
People Management (35%)
- Hire and manage a program team of 2+ direct reports across community engagement, communications, and partnerships, working with the Operations Manager
- Develop leadership qualities across all org staff by providing programmatic guidance and individual coaching
Internal Responsibilities (15%)
- Team meetings
- Manager and peer check-ins
- Anti-racism initiatives and curriculum
- Org-wide initiatives
*Other duties may also be assigned
Qualities & Skills
- A passion for social justice, and an investment in a larger movement fighting for safe and healthy housing immediately, and housing for all in the long-term
- 5+ years in a senior and/or management position with a passion for leading both internally and externally
- Track record of delivering superior results, commanding respect, and assuming leadership
- Relationship-based, with strong communication and interpersonal skills, with an aptitude for giving and receiving feedback
- Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities
- Skilled at public speaking and representing the organization to the media and other stakeholders
- Experience with tenant organizing and knowledge of the housing justice landscape locally and nationally
- Proven ability to work with efficiency and flexibility, while bringing a motivational attitude
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds
- Operates with excellence in mind, with the confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interfering
- Skilled at facilitating both internal and external meetings with multiple stakeholders
- Collaborative mindset with ability to communicate expectations and commitments, both as a leader and as a team player
- Self-organization and ability to make, meet and hold others accountable to deadlines
- Local to NYC
Nice to have:
- Interest in civic technology and co-design
- Experience in a startup environment (either an actual startup or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- A connection to the tools we have built and the people who use them
- Comfortable using project management and tracking tools (eg. Airtable, Clubhouse, Front), as well as remote work communication tools (eg. Slack, Zoom)
- Fluency (reading, writing, speaking) in Spanish
Why Work for JustFix.nyc:
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision and dental benefits are covered for employees.
- Flexible Paid Time Off with a generous and inclusive holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest when needed.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build for and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover up to $1,000 of that cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional $1,000 at your two year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is $90,000-100,000 annually for 40 hours a week (full time, exempt), including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance, and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix.nyc” section.
JustFix.nyc is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that builds tools for tenants and advocates fighting displacement. Our mission is to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all — and we think the power of data and technology should be accessible to those fighting this fight. Our vision is to provide tools that make it easier for tenants to know and exercise their rights. By combining highly scalable web-based, mobile-friendly, and SMS tools with advanced housing data analysis, we have a mission to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all. We are driven by the belief that all NYC residents deserve a dignified tenancy, with access to legal representation, social services, and opportunities to organize while navigating the complex and currently inequitable world of housing.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix.nyc is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.