About the Position
JustFix is seeking a full-time Administrative & Operations Assistant with relevant experience in any of the following areas: administrative support, operations, recruiting, or Human Resources (“HR”). Bringing a passion for tenants’ rights and civic technology, the ideal candidate is proactive, independent, and driven to help foster an equitable workplace.
Reporting to the Director of Operations & HR and the JustFix Leadership Team, the candidate will support the day-to-day workings of our small collaborative team of 9+ full-time staff, as well as contractors and future volunteers or interns. In addition to administrative duties, the candidate will assist with implementing JustFix’s hiring and retention strategies in furtherance of the organization’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (“DEI”) goals.
JustFix’s team is largely based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office. The candidate does not need to be located in New York City until JustFix returns to in-person operations.
Support on Recruitment, Hiring, Onboarding
- Support JustFix’s extensive recruitment efforts by posting open roles on a wide variety of job websites related to civic tech, non-profits, and housing justice.
- Assist in the initial application screening process by reviewing resumes, coordinating phone screens, reference checks, and candidate interviews.
- Provide technical support for new employees onboarding onto JustFix’s operational and software platforms.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion (“DEI”) Support
- In collaboration with the Director of Operations and HR, assist in implementing anti-oppressive hiring and recruitment practices, including recruiting from diverse stakeholders.
- Provide support during onboarding to ensure a smooth, equitable, and inclusive orientation program that caters to the diverse needs of each new staff member.
- Provide support in ensuring all JustFix’s tools are professionally translated and accessible in English and Spanish.
- Support in tracking use of employee benefits and reimbursements.
- Coordinate the ordering and delivering of staff gifts, swag, and other perks.
- Ensure JustFix’s smooth and efficient operation as a non-profit organization by seeking out non-profit discounts, reducing the number of unused licenses for software, and negotiating rates as appropriate.
- Fundraising and Grant Support (Optional, if capacity allows): Support the Executive Director and Leadership Team in fundraising efforts by assisting with financial and grant reporting.
- Maintain policy and operations resources containing organizational mission, values, human resources information, product/program guides, benefits, perks, and resources.
- Provide support in managing JustFix’s various software and operational platforms and ensure staff has access to updated training materials for each platform.
- Provide support in facilitating a smooth return-to-office once it is safe for staff to return to in-person operations.
- Help triage user emails, questions, and inquiries from external stakeholders.
- Coordinate travel as needed (when safe for staff to travel).
*Other duties may also be assigned
- A Bachelor’s Degree plus at least one year of relevant experience in an administrative, operations, recruiting, or Human Resources role or, alternatively, at least 3 years of relevant experience in HR and/or operations.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Self-organization, independence, excellent judgment, efficiency, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Curiosity, flexibility, and ability to learn quickly.
- Motivated by our mission.
- Desire to build something that makes an impact.
- NYC-based or willing to relocate to NYC once JustFix returns to in-person work.
Nice to have:
- Interest in civic technology and co-design.
- Passion for housing justice and/or a personal connection that draws you to our work.
- Experience in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization).
- Experience working for a tech company/non-profit.
Why Work for JustFix
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits are covered for staff along with FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs.
- Support for the future. 401k option (we match up to 2%, plus a non-elective contribution per year), and 16 weeks paid Parental Leave for those eligible.
- Generous time off and holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build with and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover the cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional stipend at your two-year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is commensurate with experience with a range of $45,000-$55,000 annually for 40 hours a week, including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance, and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix” section.
JustFix is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that co-creates tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice. Housing is a human right. We believe all tenants deserve dignified housing that helps them thrive in all parts of their lives - and that technology plays a supportive role in equipping tenants and the housing justice movement with the tools, information, and organizing power critical to this fight for racial and economic justice. Read more about our impact and Theory of Change.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve hundreds of thousands of tenants every year.
JustFix’s work has been recognized by Fast Company’s Innovation by Design awards, the Forbes 30 Under 30 list, the Hague Institute for Innovation of Law Justice Innovation of the Year, and more.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.