JustFix is seeking a full-time Senior Software Engineer with 5+ years of relevant experience and a passion for tenants’ rights to join us on our mission to co-create tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all. If you're feeling fed up with mainstream tech culture and want to co-create new spaces for our work to thrive in, read on!
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, you will be joining JustFix’s growing engineering team at a critical time as we scale our services and begin to integrate our products together to streamline collective action within the tenant movement. This is a chance for you to build multi-channel communications (e.g. Web, SMS, and Email) using a wide spectrum of technical literacy, which presents a variety of exciting and unique engineering challenges.
You are ideally an emotionally intelligent and humble developer who knows how to build and share ownership of projects that show great commitment to positive user experience. You will be joining a team engaging with tenant leaders, fellow housing justice nonprofit staff, city and state elected officials’ offices, other strategic partners, and technologists following a community-led equity-driven model.
This is not a traditional tech environment— which is precisely why we love what we do. As a non-profit, we put purpose over profit and aren’t driven by monetization. We respect user privacy and don't share their data; we are driven by true impact within our communities and our dream of upending systemic inequalities. As a small and agile team, we have the freedom to redefine traditional tech practices and are continuously pushing our co-design framework, product development strategies, and usability research methods to be better.
JustFix’s team is based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office, which will depend on the state of the public health crisis. While we are eager to return to the office, JustFix prioritizes staff health and wellbeing above all else.
Product Development and Maintenance (60%)
- Develop front and back end website architecture
- Collaborate with designers in creating accessible user interactions on web products
- Participate in the creation of new products and prototypes from scratch
- Contribute to continuous improvements of the existing product suite
- Conduct code review
- Ensure web products are responsive and optimized for a variety of devices such as low-end mobile phones and desktops
- See-through a project from conception to finished product
- Proactively identify and fix infrastructure issues to improve backend service scalability, resiliency, and fault tolerance
- Respond to urgent bugs in a timely manner alongside engineers
Strategy Collaboration (25%)
- Collaborate with the designers, engineers, program staff, and external partners to contribute to a product strategy that helps us achieve our goals
- Take ownership of features on a product level and on a technical level
- Stay abreast of best practices in web applications and programming languages
- Maintain basic working knowledge of relevant substantive areas of JustFix’s work, including housing and racial justice as well as the eviction and homelessness crisis in New York City and across the country
Internal Responsibilities (15%)
- Team meetings
- Manager and peer check-ins
- Anti-racism initiatives and curriculum
- Org-wide initiatives
*Other duties may also be assigned
Must have technical skills:
- 5+ years of front-end / full-stack development experience. Ideally, someone who has deep experience in inventing, building, shipping, and maintaining complex codebases
- Experience and/or familiarity with:
- Full-stack web framework: such as Django or Rails (We use Django)
- SQL and relational databases (We use Postgres)
- Distributed task queues (We use Celery)
- Front end build systems like Webpack
- Distributed cloud platforms like Heroku, AWS, GCP (We use Heroku & some AWS services)
- Continuous integration services like CircleCI and Netlify (we use both)
- Remote collaboration/project management tools (e.g. Clubhouse/Shortcut, Airtable, Slack or similar)
- Modern web stacks and Python frameworks
- Containerization (e.g. Docker or Kubernetes)
Must have Professional Skills & Assets:
- An understanding of the role of product/technology in movement-driven spaces;
- Ability to apply anti-oppression principles to engineering work; an appetite to diverge from traditional industry practices that may create a false sense of urgency or an unsupportive work environment.
- Be a fast and agile learner while willing to contribute by teaching what you know.
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills, with aptness in giving and receiving feedback.
- Demonstrate commitment to users needs; attention to detail when it comes to user interaction and accessibility;
- Have a willingness to adapt to different working styles depending on context (pair programming/solo development);
- Local to NYC
- Your own unique talents. If you do not meet 100% of the must-haves above, tell us in your cover letter why you’d be a fit for this role
Nice to have:
- Interest in growing with and building a resilient team structure
- Previously worked with designers and collaborated on UX for front end (accessibility, performance, etc); QA and testing
- Demonstrate curiosity and interest in stepping into other roles (dev ops, data science, sysadmin) as the situation dictates
- Have a familiarity with and knowledge about stakeholders across the housing justice ecosystem, ideally in NYC
- Show a passion for open source! Check out our github.
- Have an interest in civic technology and co-design
- Be highly curious and comfortable with ambiguity
- Demonstrate a growth mindset with an ability to adapt and learn quickly
- Have experience in a startup environment (either an actual startup or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- Have a connection to the people JustFix supports and the tools we are building
- Demonstrate familiarity with housing justice issues in New York City or elsewhere in the US
In your application, feel free to share samples of your work, focusing on projects that showcase:*
- Your experience with complex workflows
- Your process for problem-solving (rather than just polished work)
- Your communication skills
*If a non-disclosure agreement makes this request difficult, please let us know in your cover letter.
Why Work for JustFix
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits are covered for staff along with FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs.
- Support for the future. 401k option (we match up to 2%, plus a non-elective contribution per year), and 16 weeks paid Parental Leave for those eligible.
- Flexible Paid Time Off with a generous and inclusive holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build with and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover up to $1,000 of that cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional $1,000 at your two year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is $100,000-$110,000 for 40 hours a week (full time, exempt), including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance and perks listed above.
JustFix is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that co-creates tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice. Housing is a human right. We believe all tenants deserve dignified housing that helps them thrive in all parts of their lives - and that technology plays a supportive role in equipping tenants and the housing justice movement with the tools, information, and organizing power critical to this fight for racial and economic justice. Read more about our impact and Theory of Change.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.