JustFix.nyc is seeking a full-time Marketing and Communications Manager with 3+ years of relevant experience, with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for tenant rights to join us on our mission to co-design and build data-driven tools for tenants, housing organizers, and legal advocates fighting displacement.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, they will be responsible for all marketing and external communication strategy and execution. They will manage our core communications channels (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Mailchimp, Medium), as well as paid marketing efforts (Facebook ads and Learning Center), using metrics-driven analysis and ensuring our message is well-crafted in both English and Spanish. This role will be expected to develop content and distribution partnerships with partner organization staff, subject matter experts, and tenants using our tools. They will also serve as our media liaison, establishing and maintaining relationships with members of the press and supporting media communications such as press releases and overseeing product launches. Working with the Senior UX/UI Designer and partners, they will also support the development of visual assets to complement all communications and marketing content.
This role will help us grow our PR strategy and structure, from our current New York City focus to a broader community readership cultivation across the nation, in line with our organizational growth, including driving awareness and adoption across all platforms. Ideally, this person is already embedded in housing, technology, and tenant rights communities in NYC with an eye on what’s happening around the nation. They are both a strategist who wants to create compelling, human content about the work of JustFix.nyc drawing from real life experiences with tenant leaders and our housing justice partners, and someone who is comfortable rolling up their sleeves to get things done.
JustFix.nyc’s team is largely based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office.
- Develop content on our current social media platforms including but not limited to: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Medium
- Write and send our monthly newsletter, and any other off-cycle emails as needed
- Manage content calendar and publishing on all core communications platforms
- Engage with the NYC housing justice community (org partners, individual tenants, subject matter experts, etc.) for event promotion, testimonials, article vetting, and more
- Obtain consent when necessary and provide final approval on all public-facing visual and written content
- Monitor social media channels to find user insights and communicate them back to the Product Team
Digital marketing (20%)
- Manage paid ads and other marketing activities with Whole Whale, our external marketing partner
- Oversee the JustFix Learning Center by drafting, editing, managing the translation of articles, and collaborating with content partners
- Partner with Senior UX/UI Designer to develop any necessary assets
- Determine allocation of digital marketing budget and other available resources in collaboration with Deputy Director
- Serve as the main point of contact, facilitating and anticipating needs between Whole Whale and our JustFix.nyc team
Public Relations (15%)
- Maintain and expand relationships with media, in order to get stories placed
- Provide guidance and training to team members to prepare them for media interviews
- Vet and respond to media requests, pulling in needed team members as necessary
- Keep a pulse on current media to determine what is relevant and how JustFix.nyc can fit into the narrative
Internal Responsibilities (15%)
- Team meetings
- Manager and peer check-ins
- Anti-racism initiatives and curriculum
- Org-wide initiatives
*Other duties may also be assigned
Qualities & Skills
- Motivated by our mission
- Desire to build something that makes an impact
- Complete understanding of digital content distribution channels and best practices
- Empathy and emotional resilience
- Experience in managing social channels and ability to discern whether certain engagements need further escalation for tenant support whenever necessary
- Wide experience and knowledge of digital communications platforms and engagement strategies, as well as metrics and measurement tools
- Experience developing and pitching stories to media outlets and press contacts
- Skilled at using analytics to assess marketing efficacy
- Creative approach to content creation
- Relationship-based, with strong communication and interpersonal skills, with aptitude for giving and receiving feedback
- Self-organization, efficiency and ability to meet deadlines
- Collaborative mindset with ability to communicate expectations and commitments, both as a leader and as a team player
- Growth mindset with an ability to adapt and learn quickly
- Local to NYC
In your application, please share relevant samples of your work, focusing on projects that showcase:
- Your writing skills in various mediums and/or platforms
- Your communication skills to a variety of different audiences
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with and knowledge about stakeholders across the housing justice ecosystem, ideally in NYC
- Interest in civic technology and co-design
- Experience in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial context within a larger organization)
- A connection to the people we support and the tools we are building
- Already embedded in the housing justice ecosystem across the US
- English and Spanish dual fluency (reading, writing, speaking)
Why Work for JustFix.nyc:
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits are covered for employees.
- Flexible Paid Time Off with a generous and inclusive holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build for and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover up to $1,000 of that cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional $1,000 at your two year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is $65,000-75,000 annually for 40 hours a week (full time, exempt) including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance, and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix.nyc” section.
JustFix.nyc is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that builds tools for tenants and advocates fighting displacement. Our mission is to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all — and we think the power of data and technology should be accessible to those fighting this fight. Our vision is to provide tools that make it easier for tenants to know and exercise their rights. By combining highly scalable web-based, mobile-friendly, and SMS tools with advanced housing data analysis, we have a mission to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all. We are driven by the belief that all NYC residents deserve a dignified tenancy, with access to legal representation, social services, and opportunities to organize while navigating the complex and currently inequitable world of housing.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
Read more about us: CNN | Brick Underground | The Appeal | TechCrunch | Fast Company | Forbes 30 Under 30
JustFix.nyc is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.